Friday, April 15, 2011

Lately.

 So on Wednesday, I had planned to download my camera and make a post to share with all of you like normal, but when I began the download my computer told me it was full. No longer hungry for my photos. Alas. Over the last two days I have been doing my best to work its appetite back up by deleating about 800 MB worth of Java updates, compressing files, and moving old photos off of my hard drive...and I figured while I was at it I might as well install virus software and do all those kinds of scans too, right? It was a good plan, and still is...still is being worked on that is. I will outsmart it yet. My good old desktop computer may be 8 years old, and I know computer years are even longer than dog years, but I have no plans to be utilizing Dell's new mushroom packing material any time soon.

What else have I been up to lately?

Gardening...of course. Nathanel and are still having our ordinary Saturday garden days, but we are still not getting much rain, so a friend and her daughter (the most adorable little girl, the one who made the orange snake) took a trip to the garden mid week to water and plant a few things.


The seeds for the winged beans were so smooth and even. I could envision making a necklace out of these.


The New Zealand Spinach on the other hand had rough and angular seeds which look more like things that would inspire Japanese cartoon characters.


The dill is smelling wonderful and the plants are super healthy. Do you have any great dill recipes to share? I am mostly wishing the cucumbers were ready, though I do have a dill potato soup recipe.


 The beets are a little on the small side still, but many of them will be ready soon...and then I will turning everything I cook pink just for the fun of it! (You know that's why I like beets, right?)

The snow peas surprised us by pulling through and producing wild amounts this week, despite the low rain and temperatures very far from snow.


The mystery plant continues to grow and look more like itself. Come on, take a guess. What do you think it could be?

And I continue to become more allergic to fire ants. Despite wearing shoes and high socks with shorts (you only wish you could be so fashionable) they manage to reach me. This was just one bite/sting on my right ankle, a day after the ant got me. The red itchy patch continued to spread and swell...two weeks ago I got four bites on each ankle and that was really a sight, they looked like they belonged to the Michelin  Man. I think my reactions are getting slightly worse...what do you think I should to to build up immunity? Ant smoothies perhaps? Sneak ants into my baked goods?


I am also a guest blogger on After Nine To Five with a recipe for Blonde Brownies  (no ants included)! They're golden, but will not be appearing here, so catch 'em while you can! (Really. They are so delicious.)

5 comments:

  1. I also seem to be allergic to fire ants, and I don't think you can build up an immunity unfortunately. I also am severely allergic to poison ivy (my whole body swells up, my eyes swell shut, etc. - very attractive, btw), and the doctors told me that each time I encounter it could theoretically be worse than the last. I don't know if it works the same for fire ants. Is there some sort of repellent you can put on your arms and legs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dill looks fantastic! I haven't been able to grow any since I moved to my current place almost 5 years ago. But I'm hopeful every year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. i'm getting really hungry. oh and i am terribly allergic to fire ants and avoid them like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dill is so healthy, I killed all of mine last year. My chicken salad was sad. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. So tell me what you're thinking!
(If you comment on older posts I will see them too and do my best to reply!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...